Islands of the Dubrovnik Riviera
Croatia is blessed with 1185 islands and islets, although only 66 are populated it will awaken your heart, kindle your imagination and bless our soul with inner peace. The enchanting Elaphiti (Ancient Greek word meaning “deer”) consists of a number of reefs and rocks including 8 islands and 5 islets called Daksa, Kolocep “Kalamota”, St. Andrija, Lopud, Ruda, Sipan, Misnjak, Jakljan, Kosmec, Golec, Tajan and Olipa.
All of these are uninhibited except the beautiful chain of islands west of Dubrovnik that stretches 30m2 where Kolocep (smallest), Lopud (second largest) and Sipan are the three-inhibited islands between the Pelješac peninsula and the Lapad peninsula. The main three islands are inhabited and are lavished with caves, ruins of fortresses, churches and monasteries.
A couple of hundred meters from Gruz harbor lays the small-uninhibited islet of Daksa. The islet is almost shaped like a boomerang and features a small lighthouse on the southwest point of the Daksa.
Still to today the islet is up for sale with no takers due to a legendary curse that it is haunted by the Daksa Massacre. The event occurred in 1944 where more than 300 citizens were arrested and 53 killed for being Nazi sympathizers by the Anti-Nazi resistant movements, without a trial. Out of these 53 victims only 18 has been identified by DNA and their bodies were re-buried on 19 June 2010, which included a Catholic Priest, Father Petar Perica and Dubrovnik's mayor, Niko Koprivica.
Insider Tip: Not many people know this but the islet of Daksa contained a Franciscan monastery and fortress that was donated to the Franciscans by noblemen Sabin Gundulić, in return to be buried on Daksa. Here many nobleman visited including Dubrovnik's Baroque poet, Ivan Gundulić that wrote poems under a cross sculpted by Juraj Petrović, which can now be seen on display in the Franciscan monastery that is located in Konavle, Pridvorje.
"Sveti Andrija" St. Andrew island has been uninhabited for centuries but it is not short of history. In the 13th century the Benedictines built a monastery and church here that was utilized by rich noblemen for an island escape by paying one gold coin per day. The island is located off the coast of Dubrovnik and offers accommodation in its lighthouse for a romantic secluded getaway.
- Last updated on .